After sampling a few Chai Latte’s recently in various establishments I came to a couple of conclusions: 1) I love the taste of the complex range of spices, 2) I wanted to make my own at home for a pre-sleep hot toddy and 3) I wanted to go back to basics to avoid the naties and suger laiden issues with pre-mixed and commercial offerings.
So here it is – my sugar free, caffeine free, lactose free, gluten free, gloriously delicious Chai latte mix perfect for just about any occasion, especially a cold Winter’s night.
This recipe is also a perfect egg-free replacement for creamy calorie laiden eggnog, just add a splash of bourbon, brandy or your favourite liquer on Christmas day for added festive spirit. Maybe we should call it spice nog.
½ teaspoon Stevia powder
3 tablespoons Nativia sweetener
4 teaspoons vanilla bean powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon white pepper (optional for a little kick!)
1. Place ingredients in bowl
2. Stir until thoroughly mixed
3. Place in an airtight jar
Stir in 1 heaped teaspoons of your chai mix to a mug of hot milk – low fat, almond, soy, rice, lactose free or whatever you desire.
Slowly sip and enjoy!
#chailatte #chaimix #recipe #chairecipe #chaiobsessed
- if wanting to produce a mix where water only is added add 2 cups organic non-fat dry milk powder (lactose free if possible) and use about 2 tablespoons of your chai mix to a mug of hot water.
- If you’re wanting the Chai flavour of tea, simply add ½ a teaspoon of instant tea, or brew half a mug of strong black tea and use this with half a mug of milk.
- If you’re wanting the Latte flavour of coffee, then add ½ teaspoon of instant or decaff coffee granules, or add a shot of espresso to your hot milk.