“A wellness mission statement
provides clarity and gives your journey
a sense of purpose”
Identifying a wellness mission statement ca be one of the most thought provoking and helpful things you can do. It may not be easy, but it will be a valuable addition to your journey.
There are 5 main steps to creating a mission statement:
- Identify Past Wellness Successes.Think about those times in your life where your health was at its peak or greater than it is now. Write them down and try to identify whether there is a common theme.
- Identify Core Wellness Values. Develop a list of adjectives that you believe identify who you are and what your priorities are. Narrow your values to six most important values and choose the one value that is most important to you.
- Identify Wellness Contributions. Make a list of the ways you could make a difference if you regained your wellness, health and vitality whether it be to your family, your friends, yourself or the world around you.
- Identify Wellness Goals. Think about your wellness priorities and the personal goals you have for yourself. Break your goals into 1 year, 3 year and 5 year goals.
- Create Wellness Mission Statement.Using Steps 1-4 begin writing your wellness mission statement
For example, my sample Wellness Mission Statement would look something like this:
1. Past success:
- reached 71kg of wellness
- was toned and muscular
- had vigour and always felt healthy
- was able to avoid sickness
Themes: Successes all relate to achieving great health and wellbeing.
2. Core values:
Most important values:
Most important value:
3. Identify Contributions:
to my self: to live my life with integrity each and every day, and to be good to the people I meet along the way.
to my family: to challenge and encourage them to be better than they already are.
to my friends: to always be there for them and help them in their time of need.
to the world around me:to inspire people to achieve their dreams4. Identify Goals:
1-year: To regain my peak level of wellbeing.
3-year: To find ways to be more inspirational to others
5-year: To give back to my community and society as a whole.
5. Wellness Mission Statement:
“To live life with integrity and honesty, nurturing my body and mind to maintain great health and wellness; to care for the environment and the world around me, and to creatively explore ways to challenge and inspire others to find and follow their wellness passion.”
With your Wellness Mission Statement complete, you can now develop a Wellness Plan to achieving your goals.